Instructor, Learning Success
Instructor, Learning Success
At NPower Canada, a charitable organization established in 2014, we are on a mission to help as many young people as we can by providing them with the technical and soft skills they need to secure employment in the technology field, often lifting themselves and their families out of poverty.
We provide an all-encompassing program that teaches in-demand technical and soft skills as identified by our employment partners from banks to startups. We take our program - and our youth - to the next level by including one-on-one and group coaching that builds business communication and customer-facing skills as well as addresses mental health and other societal obstacles that may impede completing certification. Our goal is to connect at least 80% of our program graduates to new and rewarding career opportunities with some of Canada’s largest employers, supporting all of our alumni with ongoing mentorship and placement support for five years after they complete our program.
Our unique approach to workforce development has seen 1,398 youth graduate from our programs in the last 5 years. In addition to growing our current capacity, we are scaling our model to include alumni training programs through a $2.5 million grant from Google.org and a new reskilling program. To support our growth within the GTA, in Calgary and soon in Halifax and Vancouver, we are adding passionate, collaborative, motivated, and compassionate team members to our offices.
Right now, we are searching for an Instructor, Learning Success.
Who we need
Reporting to the Program Manager, we are adding an Instructor, Learning Success, to our location in Calgary. This is an opportunity to play a vital role in the experience of our program participants delivering content independently or in tandem with two co-instructors. You will identify barriers to learning and provide tailored educational supports, ensuring the program is delivered effectively to as many students as possible.
Who you are
You want to make an impact. You are an energetic, dedicated, and engaging educator and mentor. You are passionate about creating employment opportunities for youth through targeted, holistic education. You believe in fostering a partnership with your participants, engaging and empowering them in thoughtful and creative ways, motivating them to overcome obstacles and reach their full potential.
What's in it for you
Purpose. This is an outstanding opportunity to see the tangible results of the work you do and the skills you impart to your students. This is a genuine chance to make an impact on someone's life, empowering them to contribute back to their community as they grow personally and professionally.
Vocation fulfillment. It's not easy to break into the teaching sector; this is an exciting opportunity for an educator to gain classroom experience and build their delivery skills. Even more so, it's a chance to work with diverse learners, many of whom have struggled to access or complete post-secondary education, in a high-touch environment.
Growth potential. You will have ongoing opportunities to achieve technical certifications and learn new ways of delivering content to your students. As we continue to expand our program offerings both locally and nationally, the chance to move up to Program Manager and beyond exists. Over 75% of our staff have grown their capacity and moved up in roles and responsibilities since starting here. If you are passionate about our purpose, you will find a fulfilling career path here.
Exposure. You will have the opportunity to work with leaders, team members, and partners in the workforce development field to address the growing issue of youth un/under employment. Your work will also directly impact the growing skills gap in Ontario.
How you will make an impact:
Coach and support participants. You will cultivate strong relationships with students to build trust and act as their personal coach throughout their program of study. Your goal is to ensure students feel understood, accepted, and supported. You will:
- Evaluate students' abilities, interests, and personality characteristics and provide regular coaching and educational support activities on a bi-weekly basis, holding participants accountable for both structured and self-directed learning plans.
- Provide individual tutoring support to participants with demonstrated learning challenges, implementing appropriate interventions to address behavioural issues or learning difficulties that encourage motivation and engagement.
- Hold daily drop-in "office hours" to support participants with: exam preparation, study skills, motivation, time management, etc.
Enhance curriculum and program delivery. You will contribute to student achievement through the continuous evolution of our content and methodology. Your goal is to attain a student success rate of 95% of graduates earning at least one certification and 70% earning two or more certifications. You will:
- Maintain high-levels of student satisfaction as measured by ensuring high standards of professional practice and quality of teaching.
- Demonstrate the use of research-based instructional strategies, technology integration, best practices, and resources for improving student achievement.
- Participate in reciprocal peer review and observation of class teaching practices by Senior Education Manager.
- Attend networking and alumni events, contributing, as needed to presentations for employment partners.
Teach, assess, and evaluate. Deliver lesson plans and instructional materials that facilitate active learning in the classroom, lab, workshop, off-site, and individualized settings. You will:
- Plan and facilitate academic success workshops to increase critical thinking, analysis, and problem-solving skills of participants.
- Maintain a safe and respectful classroom simulating a professional workplace environment, motivating active participation and engaged learning.
- Impart real-world work scenarios that are outside of the "core" course of study in preparation for Junior IT Analyst roles.
- Prepare required reports on participants and activities that capture participant readiness to write the technical certifications.
What you bring to the team:
- The education. You have a B.Ed., M.Ed., or a comparable post-secondary diploma or degree related to Education and Training. CompTIA A+ Certification is beneficial, or the willingness to complete the certification within your first three months of employment.
- The experience. You have 2 to 3 years in a teaching or facilitation role, ideally to participants 16+. You understand the differences in style, language, and approach required to deliver to a young adult audience (versus children).
- The compassion. You exhibit a high level of sensitivity, relatability, and emotional intelligence. You have an understanding of the socio-economic and mental health barriers faced by youth of all backgrounds, and you have experience working with diverse community members, including new Canadians, people with disabilities, LGBTQ, low income, and racialized groups.
- The technical skills. You are proficient with educational software including, but not limited to, Google Drive and Google Suite, Microsoft Office, Schoology, an LMS, and a CRM. You have exposure to a blended learning approach and can implement best practices in technology integration in the classroom.
- The potluck contribution. You have that perfect potluck recipe, and you are willing to share. We work hard as a team, but balance is essential to us. We have weekly lunches where we talk about anything but work; it's a great way to come together.
Why should I join?
Joining NPower Canada is an opportunity to make an I - M - P - A - C - T:
Innovation. You will be part of our continuously evolving purpose, to reflect the needs of our employers and respond to the needs of the youth we support. We are always looking for ways to change, and we want team members to propose and try new ideas.
Motivation. You will make a measurable difference in people’s lives. Everything we do, and every action we take at NPower Canada is motivated by the chance to change lives.
Passion. You will have the opportunity to channel the desire and drive of the youth we serve. We support youth in overcoming adversity to achieve their career aspirations. The people who make up our teams are genuinely committed to making a difference.
Agility. You will be part of an industry-driven program that is growing strategically. We are always testing and evaluating new curriculum and approaches to programming. We foster a growth mindset and take pride in the way we change lives.
Collaboration. You are all in. And so are we. From admissions to alumni, from operations to fundraising, everyone within the organization works in partnership with each other. We are wholly focused on the opportunity we have to elevate NPower Canada’s mission and build a work and life skills program that is unique to Canada.
Tangible outcomes. You will be rewarded personally and professionally as you become a part of the communities we are raising up. What we offer is transformative, and each of us has a chance to see and hear the direct impact we have on the lives of the youth we serve.
Are you ready to make an impact with us?
At NPower Canada, we understand that not everyone acquires their skills and experience the traditional way. If you feel you can make a difference to our team and the communities we serve, and you have 70% of the qualifications listed here, please express your interest. We promise to consider your application.
NPower, Canada is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
NPower Canada will make every effort to accommodate any needs of candidates through the hiring process, under the Human Rights Code. Please inform us if you require any accommodation through the hiring process.
Please apply to employer website: https://bit.ly/2yhsLTU