Community Development Intern
The Mustard Seed
Community Development Intern
The Mustard Seed is a Christian humanitarian organization whose vision is to build community, grow hope and support change. Intentionally following Jesus Christ and partnering with the community, The Mustard Seed combats the root causes of poverty in Alberta and British Columbia and works to create positive, lasting change in the lives of those we serve. The Mustard Seed provides basic services— food, clothing and housing, and support services—education and employment, to those living in poverty within Alberta and British Columbia.
The Community Development Intern in Red Deer will rally community support and help support the fostering of relationships with donors alongside the Community Development Coordinator and the Fund Development Officer. This summer student position will be engaged in supporting third party fundraiser events, setting up information booths at churches and community events and be an ambassador for The Mustard Seed across Central Alberta.
The Community Development Intern will be committed to seeing the mission and vision of The Mustard Seed actively achieved by facilitating a variety of opportunities for the community to support our mission, both financially and in spirit.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Promote the mission and vision of The Mustard Seed throughout the Central Alberta area and be an example of the Christian values and principles that are the foundation of our ministry;
- Support existing programs that increase awareness of the work of the Red Deer Mustard Seed with regard to the issues of poverty and homelessness and assist with the planning and execution of Summer Outreach Programming
- Assist with internal and third party events, reports on progress and activities achieved
- Assist with identifying new opportunities to promote the Mustard Seed in the Community
- Engage, Educate and Thank Volunteers for their service
- Assist with Donation Processing
- Administrative tasks, including data entry
- Other duties, as assigned
- Support the Fund Development Officer in the development, implementation and execution of the Development strategy, which includes nurturing relationships with church donors throughout the summer
- Help Maintain accurate donor records and facilitate donation processing in collaboration with Donor Relations team
- Assist with Hands-on planning and coordination of all Development activities and special events
- Help maintain strong rapport and relationships in the Red Deer community by representing our values in all community interactions including church, and community business leaders
- Creatively and analytically assist with identifying strategic opportunities to cultivate and engage key supporters, providing opportunities to match supporters’ interests with organizational priorities
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Completing education in ministry, social work, education, community development, youth and childcare studies, or a related program
- Currently enrolled in Post-secondary education, with preference given to an applicant with of experience in fundraising and event planning within a non-profit environment
- Superior interpersonal skills, making presentations and public speaking skills, good listening and negotiation skills
- Sound judgment and decision-making capabilities and the ability to work independently and collaboratively
- A skill for building relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to help manage strategic partnerships with churches and community leaders
- Customer service experience is an asset.
- Highly organized and strong attention to detail; strong administration skills
- Demonstrated capacity to be adaptable and responsive to changing program needs
- Passion for fostering a deeper understanding of poverty and homelessness in the community
- Experience working with marginalized population or in social work an asset
- This is a fulltime position, 40 hours per week for 16 weeks: June 7, 2019 – August 20, 2019
- Note: vacation time during these 16 weeks is not permitted
- Employment Security Check is required
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our statement of faith
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Start date: June 7, 2019
Apply online using our Position Application Form on our Careers page. (https://themustardseedhr.wufoo.eu/forms/position-application-form/)
Please apply online at https://theseed.ca/careers/