Ryan Butler Ph.D
Ryan Butler completed his Bachelor of Science Degree in Biology at Memorial University of Newfoundland. He also received a Ph.D. in Cell and Molecular Biology at the University of Houston, where his research focused on understanding the roles of Estrogen Receptor Beta and Aryl Hydrocarbon Receptor in human health and disease. He also worked as a postdoctoral fellow at McGill University’s Goodman Cancer Center, where he studied the Estrogen-Related Receptors and their involvement in cancer and metabolism. Prior to joining RDC, Ryan spent time teaching biology laboratories at Memorial University of Newfoundland. Ryan also has experience in research grant writing and administration from his time as a Grants Facilitation Officer in Biomedical Sciences at Memorial. Ryan joined the School of Arts and Sciences at Red Deer College in 2017 and teaches a variety of courses within biology and nursing. Ryan also supervises some of the student research projects in biology at RDC.
Ph.D. (Cell and Molecular Biology), University of Houston
B.Sc. (Biology), Memorial University of Newfoundland
Introductory biology, human anatomy, human physiology
Dysregulation of Notch and ERα signaling in AhR-/- male mice. Huang B, Butler R, Miao Y, Dai Y, Wu W, Su W, Fujii-Kuriyama Y, Warner M and Gustafsson JÅ. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2016 113 (42): 11883-11888
Effects of short-term estradiol and norethindrone acetate treatment on the breasts of normal postmenopausal women. Cheng G*, Butler R*, Warner M, Gustafsson JÅ, Wilczek B, Landgren BM. Menopause. 2013 May;20(5) *Equal contribution
Uric acid stones in the urinary bladder of aryl hydrocarbon receptor (AhR) knockout mice. Butler R, Inzunza J, Suzuki H, Fujii-Kuriyama Y, Warner M, Gustafsson JÅ. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2012 Jan 24;109(4):1122-6.
Estrogen receptor β and 17β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 6, a growth regulatory pathway that is lost in prostate cancer. Muthusamy S, Andersson S, Kim HJ, Butler R, Waage L, Bergerheim U, Gustafsson JA. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2011 Dec 13;108(50):20090-4.
Liver X receptor beta and thyroid hormone receptor alpha in brain cortical layering. Tan XJ, Fan XT, Kim HJ, Butler R, Webb P, Warner M, Gustafsson JA. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2010 Jul 6;107(27):12305-1
Chronic myeloid leukemia in the aryl hydrocarbon receptor knockout mouse. 2013, American Association of Cancer Researchers annual conference, Washington D.C. (Poster)
- Currently involved with an ongoing biology research project at RDC which involves the measuring of hormone levels in hair samples
- Central Alberta Regional Science Fair Judge
- Public Education Interpreter Volunteer, Mini Aquarium, Petty Harbour, NL, (2015 – 2017)
Professional and/or RDC Leadership
- Member at Large for the Faculty Association of Red Deer College Executive
- Representative for the School of Arts & Sciences on the Quality Improvement of Programs Committee, Red Deer College
- Member of the Recognition of Scholarly Activity Committee, Red Deer College
- Undergraduate Biology Educators of Alberta member
Awards and Honours
- McGill Integrated Cancer Research Training Program, Postdoctoral research award, McGill University, (2014)
- Publication Award, Biology and Biochemistry Department, University of Houston, (2012)