Andrea came to Red Deer College in the fall of 2016 after teaching for several years in Ontario in fitness and health, pre-health science and practical nursing programs. Andrea’s expertise are within the area of exercise physiology and here at Red Deer College, she teaches both Anatomy and Physiology and as well, the Health and Fitness Diploma course that focuses on the Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology protocols. Andrea is currently finishing her PhD in the area of Exercise Physiology at Western University and her research focuses on the examination of the intercostal muscles during exercise using Near-Infrared Spectroscopy (NIRS). Andrea is eager to work with her faculty members and administration to develop a degree program in the near future here at Red Deer College.
M.S. (Pediatric Exercise Physiology), Ball State University
BKin. (Pediatric Exercise Physiology), Brock University
Clinical Exercise Physiologist, Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology
Fitness and Health
- Acute Exercise Effects on Measures of Attention and Impulsivity in Children with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder. Mahon AD, Dean RS, McIntosh DE, Marjerrison AD, Cole AS, Woodruff ME, & Horn MP. Journal of Educational and Psychological Development, 2013 Nov;3(2).
- Effect of stimulant medication use by children with ADHD on heart rate and perceived exertion. Mahon A, Woodruff M, Horn M, Marjerrison A, and Cole A. Adapted Physical Activity Quarterly, 2012 Apr;29(2):151-60.
- A Raised Metabolic Rate Slows Pulmonary O2 Uptake Kinetics on Transition to Moderate-Intensity Exercise in Humans Independently of Work Rate. Bowen T, Murgatroyd S, Cannon D, Cuff T, Lainey A, Marjerrison A, Spencer M, Benson A, Paterson D, Kowalchuk J, Rossiter H. Experimental Physiology, 2011 Oct;96(10):1049-61.
- Evaluating Predicted Versus Measured Maximal Heart Rate in Children and Adolescents. Mahon A, Marjerrison A, Lee J, Woodruff M and Hanna L. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, 2010 Dec;81(4):466-71.
- Preexercise Carbohydrate Consumption and Repeated Anaerobic Performance in Pre- and Early Pubertal Boys. Marjerrison A, Lee J and Mahon A. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 2007 Apr;17(2):140-151.
- Respiratory Muscle O2 Uptake and Deoxygenation During Incremental Exercise to Fatigue: Is There a “Steal”? Andrea D. Marjerrison, Mark A. Babcock, Donald H. Paterson, FACSM and John M. Kowalchuk. American College of Sports Medicine, Annual Meeting, May 31st – June 2nd, San Francisco, California (2012)
- O2 Uptake Kinetics During Knee Extension and Leg Cycling Exercise In The Moderate-intensity Domain. Andrea D. Marjerrison, Jonathon P. Pace, Nicholas J. Petrella, Donald H. Paterson, John M. Kowalchuk. American College of Sports Medicine, Annual Meeting, May 27-30th, Seattle, Washington. (2009)
- Effects of type 1 diabetes on lower limb contractile properties in diabetic rats. Levit D, Marjerrison A., Hawke T.J., Cafarelli E., Riddell M.C. Ontario Exercise Physiology, Annual Meeting, Barrie, Ontario (2007)
- The Effect of Carbohydrate Feeding on Repeated Bouts of Anaerobic Exercise in Pre- and Early-Pubertal Boys. Andrea D. Marjerrison, Jonah D. Lee and Anthony D. Mahon. North American Society for Paediatric Exercise Medicine, Annual Meeting, September 13-16th, Charleston, South Carolina (2006)
- Bioenergetics of Lower versus Upper Body Submaximal Steady State Exercise in Boys and Girls. P. Klentrou, A. Marjerrison & A. Flouris. 23rd Pediatric Work Physiology Meeting, September 22-26, Thun, Switzerland (2005)
- Examination of the Impact the 2019 Canada Winter Games and Associated Practice and Game Relocation on Performance of Men’s and Women’s Athletic Teams at Red Deer College
Professional and/or RDC Leadership
- 2017 to present-Health and Wellness Committee, Faculty of Health Sciences, Red Deer College
- 2019 to present CSEP CPT IE
- 2017 to present CSEP CEP