Medical Office Assistant
Medical Office Assistants are currently in high demand. Be an integral part of any healthcare team, and begin a rewarding professional career with this certificate program.
This two-semester program prepares you to work in the fast-paced, interdisciplinary team environment of a medical office as a key member responsible for a wide range of general administrative and clerical duties. A Medical Office Assistant contributes to the healthcare team by managing the flow of clients and supporting the duties of physicians and other health professionals. Topics such as customer service and patient-centered approaches, professionalism, safety, and infection control are explored while providing you with the knowledge and skills to function effectively in the role. After completing the coursework, you will have the opportunity to consolidate your learning and apply it to professional practice during a 105-hour work placement in a Medical Office Assistant setting.
You will learn
- Organization and management strategies for managing patient records and reports
- To create, format, and edit letters, reports, and documents of varying complexity using Microsoft Office applications
- Conflict resolution strategies
- To recognize medical terms related to diseases, symptoms, treatments, anatomy, and diagnostic tests
- To recognize common financial records used within a medical office and identify typical billing processes, including patient invoices and statements, insurance reimbursement, and worker's compensation claims
- Online - attend live classes or work independently
- 5 theory courses followed by a 105-hour Professional Preceptorship
- Learners are required to purchase:
- RDC Medical Office Assistant scrub top (details provided at learner orientation)
- Closed-toe, closed-heel shoes
- Personal computer or laptop with reliable internet connectivity
- Textbooks (details will be provided upon registration)
|The Role of the Medical Office Assistant|
|Computer Applications in the Medical Office|
|Effective Communication and Interpersonal Skills for the Medical Office Assistant|
|Medical and Pharmacological Terminology|
|Financial Transactions for the Medical Office|
- English 20-2, with a minimum score of 60% achieved; or
- A minimum score of 250 on the Reading component, 250 on the Writing component and 5 on the WritePlacer Test
- Math 10-1, with a minimum score of 60% achieved
Applicants will be required to submit high school transcripts to the Division of Extended Education at the time of registration.
Payment Plan: Reach out to us by ce [at] rdc [dot] ab [dot] ca (subject: Payment%20Plan%20-%20Medical%20Office%20Assistant) (email) to inquire about setting up a payment plan prior to registering.
How to Register
Registration is available online 24/7. Both Visa and Mastercard payments are accepted. If you are a business organization looking to register one or more employees, ce [at] rdc [dot] ab [dot] ca (contact us) for information on setting up a Company Profile.
- Click to Register Now
- Create an account
- Choose your course and "add to cart"
- Click "Checkout"
- Pay online with a credit card – Payment Plan available! Reach out to us after step 2 to get registered with a payment option.