English as a Second Language to Health Care Aide Program
Improve your English skills and prepare to be part of a health care team with this brand new learning opportunity! Successfully complete English for Academic Purposes to achieve Canadian Language Benchmark level 7, and progress into the Health Care Aide Certificate. Funding is available for eligible applicants. Apply now!
Are you an English language learner? Use the Entrance Education Tool to find out the best program fit for your goals and English language level.
This 52 week program includes 14 weeks of English as a Second Language (ESL) learning and 38 weeks of Health Care Aide training. Learners are required to have access to a computer and reliable internet connection as learning will be done both in-person and online.
This learning opportunity is available to learners who meet both of the following criteria:
- Are ESL learners with Canadian Language Benchmark 5.5 average score with no band lower than a Canadian Language Benchmark 5 (or equivalent)
- Are approved Canadian Refugees, Canadian Permanent Residents, or Canadian Citizens
You will learn
- Skills and competencies required to earn the English as a Second Language Level 1 Certificate
- Skills and competencies required to earn the English as a Second Language Level 2 Certificate
- Skills and competencies required to earn the Health Care Aide Certificate, based on the 2019 Government of Alberta Health Care Aide Provincial Curriculum
English for Academic Purposes
Weeks 1 – 7: ESL Level 2
- Complete with a minimum grade of 65% to progress and write IELTS academic exam to qualify for HCA classes.
- IELTS academic exam is not included as part of the tuition.
Health Care Aide Certificate
Weeks 15 – 52
- Complete 6 online learning modules
- Attend in-person and online labs
- Complete 3 in-person practicum placements
- Complete all modules with a minimum grade of 70% to achieve the Health Care Aide Certificate credential
Learners will be required to purchase their own supplies for this course:
Required Text Books – available at the RDC Campus Store
- Evolve Level 5 Student's Book with Practice Extra Leslie Anne Hendra, Mark Ibbotson, Kathryn O'Dell.
- Evolve Level 6 Student's Book with Practice Extra Ben Goldstein, Ceri Jones
- Mosby's Canadian textbook for the support worker (4th ed.) Sorrentino, S. A., Remmert, L. N., & Wilk, M. J. (2018). Toronto, ON: Elsevier Canada.
- Workbook to Accompany Mosby’s Canadian textbook for the support worker (4th ed.) Sorrentino, S. A., Remmert, L. N., & Wilk, M. J. (2018). Toronto, ON: Elsevier Canada.
- Lab supply kit
- Scrubs & closed toe, closed heel shoes.
- Personal computer or laptop with reliable internet connectivity
Apply online through Apply Alberta. Learners are required to pay a non-refundable application fee at the time of application. For more information on how to apply call 403-342-3400 or email admissions [at] rdc [dot] ab [dot] ca.
Note: Full payment is due one month prior to the first day of the program. If payment is not received at that time, you will be moved to a waitlist to accommodate other students. Course seats are limited.
Alberta Works offers grant funding to eligible adult learners enrolled in RDC's ESL to Health Care Aide program. Learn more about Alberta Works funding and eligibility criteria or contact the Student Connect Centre by phone at 403.342.3254 or by email at studentconnect [at] rdc [dot] ab [dot] ca.
Please Note: Applicants are required to submit a program application prior to applying for funding.