GED Testing at RDC
RDC is one of many General Educational Development (GED) testing centres in Alberta. You can write the GED to improve employment opportunities or to qualify for further study. It is best to check with your employer or with the educational institution you plan to attend to determine if they will accept the GED.
NEW - the GED exam can now be written in French- with advanced notice.
You may register to write the GED exam if you are 18 years of age or older and have been out of school for at least 10 consecutive months.
To Apply to Write the GED Test
Print the attached GED Test Application Form (please fill out completely). Remember to fill in the date on which you wish to write. There are a maximum of 15 seats available for each writing date. Once the maximum limit has been reached, the session will be closed and will be indicated above that there are no seats available.
You must submit the completed application form and the $200 registration fee + GST to RDC before the application deadline. Rewrites are available for a fee of $150 + GST, regardless of the number of tests you need to rewrite.
Application and testing fee can only be submitted by one of the following ways:
- Mail (cheque or money order made payable to Red Deer College):
RDC Test Centre
PO Box 5005
100 College Blvd
Red Deer | AB | T4N 5H5
- In person at the RDC Cashier's Office (cash, debit, Mastercard, Visa, American Express, cheque or money order made payable to Red Deer College)
- Phone the RDC Cashier's Office at 403.342.3132 (Mastercard, Visa or American Express)
- Email: email completed application to Tracy [dot] Wilson2 [at] rdc [dot] ab [dot] ca
- Dates are subject to change throughout the year, check back prior to booking to ensure your test date is running
- Cheques or money orders must be made payable to RDC. Do not send cash through the mail.
- The NON-REFUNDABLE examination fee cannot be transferred to another writing location. Examination dates are non-transferable.
- If a completed application has been received where the desired testing date is full, only then will the candidate be eligible to write the GED at a future date.
- These seats fill up quickly on a first come, first served basis. You are strongly advised to apply well in advance of the application deadline to ensure a seat.
Preparing for the GED Test
Study guides are available from the RDC Campus Store, major bookstores such as Chapters or Coles, or your public library. Please note that the GED Study Guide should be a Canadian edition and a version more recent than 2002.
RDC Schedule for GED Examination
The following schedule applies to first time writes only.
Test 1: Language Arts, Reading (65 minutes)
Test 2: Science (80 minutes)
Test 3: Social Studies (70 minutes)
Test 4: Mathematics (90 minutes)
Test 5: Language Arts, Writing (120 minutes)
- Photo identification MUST be presented at the time of writing.
- All applicants who have been accepted are notified with a confirmation email 3 – 5 business days prior to exam date. The email will confirm your registration and include specific details regarding writing times and room location. If the test sitting is full when you register, you will be notified immediately to reschedule.
- Following the GED exam, candidates will receive instructions from Red Deer College for obtaining a score report which they can access approximately two weeks after the scheduled test date. Candidates who have passed the GED will receive an official certificate from Alberta Learning 4-5 weeks after the writing date.
- For PART 1 of the math test you will be allowed to use the scientific calculator issued to you at the writing centre for the purpose of completing your test only. NO OTHER REFERENCES OR RESOURCES WILL BE ALLOWED.
- Further information and sample questions are available on the Alberta Learning website.
To book or for more information on the GED exams, contact Tracy Wilson at the School of Continuing Education at 403.356.4909.