Who are we…
The Visual Art Program at Red Deer College provides a comprehensive program of study for those considering a career or general education in visual art. The program offers both a two-year Visual Art Diploma as well as a two-year Bachelor of Fine Art, University Transfer option, through a concentrated, studio-based visual art foundation approach.
Learn in the state-of-the-art Centre for Visual Art at Red Deer College in large, well lit, and well-equipped studios. Create in an environment that is both safe and inspiring. Gain intensive experiences in both 2D and 3D studio art:
- 2D Visual Fundamentals
- 3D Visual Fundamentals
- 2D Painting
- 3D Ceramics
- 3D Sculpture
Contemporary 2D Strategies and Technologies
- Art History
- Professional Practices
Why are we great…
- Work with faculty and staff who are all successful practicing artists themselves!
- Learn and create in some of the newest and best studio facilities in Western Canada!
- Creativity doesn’t work on a 9-5 schedule, so why should you? Our state-of-the-art visual art facilities are open to students 24/7!
- We brings in practicing artists for lectures, demonstrations, and workshops in our Visiting Artist Lecture Series.
- The RDC Permanent Collection houses over 700 pieces, including works by old, modern, and contemporary masters. There is also an ever-growing collection of student work, demonstrating our legacy of excellence.
- We do not require a portfolio submission for admission to our program!
The following employment-related fields require a general art foundation, possibly followed by more specialized training:
- Studio artist
- Exhibit designer
- Art Educator
- Designer (product, costume, set, textile, industrial, graphic, lighting, environmental, etc.)
- Special effects artist
- *If you are interested in 3D Computer Animation please visit our Bachelor of Applied Arts in Animation and Visual Effects program.
You may transfer up to 20 course equivalents taken at Red Deer College to the University of Alberta, University of Calgary, University of Lethbridge, the Alberta College of Art and Design, NSCAD University, and the Emily Carr University of Art and Design. Individual courses within the Visual Art diploma and B.F.A program may also transfer to other Canadian universities and art colleges.
*Transfer arrangements are different at each university and you are advised to consult the Alberta Transfer Guide, your Advising & Recruiting Specialist and the University to which you will transfer for more information.