What happens if I don’t submit my research project to the REB for ethics review?
- Some of the repercussions of not obtaining ethical approval for academic research include, but are not limited to:
- Many peer reviewed journals will not publish research that has not been approved by a research ethics board
- If something happens during a study that affects participant welfare, the researcher will not have the protection of their institution*
- The researcher’s eligibility for access to participant pools, funding, promotion may be negatively limited or denied
- Participants may file a complaint against the researcher with the institution; and depending on the severity of the situation, with local authorities
- Damage to the reputation of one’s institution and of one’s colleagues
*For a fascinating example, refer to the case of Dr. Collette Parent and Dr. Christine Bruckert, University of Ottawa.
RDC Main Campus
Mon-Fri 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Main Phone: 403.342.3400
Toll-free: 1.888.732.4630 (in Canada only)
Email: inquire [at] rdc [dot] ab [dot] ca
RDC Main Campus Location
100 College Boulevard | Box 5005
Red Deer, Alberta | T4N 5H5