Current Student Awards & Scholarships
Am I a Current Student?
You are a current student if you meet one of the following criteria:
- You are a current RDC student (enrolled in credit programming)
- You are currently enrolled in a University of Alberta, University of Calgary or Mount Royal University collaborative program.
RDC's General Awards Application
The deadline to apply has passed. Award winners will be notified via email to their RDC email address throughout the summer months. Check your RDC email regularly to ensure you do not miss out on any award notifications!
The application will reopen in March 2020.
Jason Lang and Louise McKinney Scholarships
- Must be continuing in full-time post-secondary studies
- Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or protected person
- Must be an Alberta resident
- Must have completed 24 credits (to meet Jason Lang eligibility) or 30 credits (to meet Louise McKinney eligibility) over the previous 2 terms (not including Spring)
- Minimum GPA of 3.2
- Students can only receive one of these scholarships per academic year. A maximum of 3 Jason Lang and/or Louise McKinney scholarships can be acquired in a student's academic lifetime.
Current RDC students meeting the above criteria have been notified via email to their RDC email addresses. Nominees are required to complete the application linked in this email in order to be considered for the awards.
Students who have transferred to other institutions (including those currently enrolled in collaborative programs at RDC) must contact the Financial Aid Office at their current post-secondary institution in order to discuss their Jason Lang and Louise McKinney Scholarship process.
Indigenous Careers Award
If you are an Indigenous student attending full-time studies at RDC you may be eligible for the Indigenous Careers Award! This award provides support to Indigenous Albertans in their pursuit of post-secondary studies in certificate, diploma and degree programs.
- Must be of Indigenous ancestry
- Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Must be a resident of Alberta
- Must be enrolled in at least 60% of a full-time course load in the Fall 2019 term
- If you are a student with a documented permanent disability you are considered full-time if you are enrolled in at least 40% of a full-time course load
- Must have attended a post-secondary institution in the Winter 2019 term
- If you attended a post-secondary institution other than RDC you must submit a statement of grades or transcript with your application
- Must have a minimum GPA of 1.7
- Applicants will be selected based on highest GPA
Award Value: $2,000 per semester
We are currently accepting applications for students enrolled in Fall term 2019. Applications for the Winter term will be accepted starting in January.
Deadline to apply: November 30, 2019
Student Recognition Awards
The Student Recognition Award is intended to recognize students who best exemplify co-curricular contributions to Red Deer College and the community. The award is not based on academic performance - rather, it recognizes and highlights students’ accomplishments completed within the current or past academic year based on the following criterion: inspiration, innovation, leadership, courage and community.
Students must be nominated for this award. Anyone can complete the nomination form! Click here to begin.
Deadline to submit the nomination form: February 25, 2020 at 4:30pm
Health Sciences Rural Practicum Bursary
Are you an Occupational and Physiotherapist Assistant, Practical Nurse, or Bachelor of Science in Nursing student who is required to travel to a practicum placement outside of the City of Red Deer? If so, you may be eligible for the Health Sciences Rural Practicum Bursary. This bursary is intended to offset the financial burden of traveling to a distant practicum location.
Before applying, you must:
- Have a confirmed practicum placement at least 50KM from Red Deer College
- Know the practicum/clinic dates and location
Click here to complete the online application. Please note applicants are not guaranteed approval as bursary funds are limited.
Deadlines to apply:
If you practicum takes place in the Fall term, you must apply by October 31, 2019.
If your practicum begins in January or February, you must apply by January 31, 2020.
If your practicum begins in March, you must apply by March 31, 2020.
If your practicum begins in May, you must apply by May 8, 2020.
RDC Tenants' Association Building Community Scholarship
Do you reside on campus? Would you like to organize an event, project or initiative for the betterment of your fellow RDC residents? If so, you need to apply for this scholarship! There are two scholarships to be awarded in the Fall term, and two to be awarded in the Winter term. The selected recipient(s) will receive $200 to make their event, project or initiative a reality. Simply complete the RDC Tenants' Association Building Community Scholarship Application in order to be considered. Please note applications will be considered on a first-come first-serve basis.
Deadline to apply for a Fall term project: November 15, 2019
Deadline to apply for a Winter term project: March 15, 2020