Fire/Smoke Response Plan
At any time when the fire bells are activated, the following procedure should be followed:
- Occupants of any area where the alarm bells are ringing are to immediately evacuate to the outside through the nearest safe exit to a designated safe area and await further direction from the College Emergency Response Team.
- Once danger has passed or if no danger exists (false alarm), the College will be notified through the global communication system or Emergency Response Team.
In the event of an emergency where immediate medical aid is required:
- Contact the College Emergency Line at 4000 (internal line) or 403.343.4000 (external line). The personnel at the Security Centre will contact 911 and assist emergency services in attending the scene. 911(external line) or 9.911 (internal line) may also be contacted directly.
- Identify yourself and give exact details on your location and medical emergency.
- Victims should not be moved by untrained personnel except in life threatening situations.
Tornado Response Plan
In the event that the College is determined to be in the affected area of a tornado warning:
- Global message sent advising of warning and directing people to areas of safety, as indicated on posted emergency procedures. City Emergency Services advised.
- Once danger has passed, communication will be relayed to the college through the emergency global communication system. The Emergency Response Team will assist in returning college occupants to their work areas.
Armed Intruder / Dangerous Person Response Plan
In the event that information is known about an armed intruder or a potentially violent situation on campus:
- Info relayed to Security, College Emergency Response Team, and 911.
- Emergency global message sent to initiate a complete lockdown. Directions for lockdown are posted in all classrooms, office clusters, meeting rooms, labs and shops (lock door, turn off lights, draw blinds, move where occupants are not visible from hallway, await further communication).
- Upon arrival of police the College Emergency Response Team will act as support.
- Continued communication to College through the global communication system as directed by police.
Bomb Threat Response Plan
Upon receipt of a bomb threat at the College:
- Information gathered and documented as per policy and relayed to Incident Commander (Manager of Security, Director of Facilities, Commissionaire Supervisor, etc) and 911 emergency services.
- Incident Commander will review details and decide upon a course of action, as outlined in the Emergency Procedures manual. (partial or full evacuation, search only, etc.)
- Incident Commander will activate College emergency response personnel as required, and work in unison with city emergency services.
- Depending on the situation, a global message may be sent out to those affected.
- College emergency response team will initiate evacuation and search as deemed necessary by Incident Commander.
- Once danger has passed, a global message will be sent, and the College emergency response team will assist in returning College and occupants to state of normalcy.
Hazardous Material Spill Response Plan
In the event of a hazardous material spill or release at the College:
- If required, containment and evacuation initiated.
- Once danger has passed, global communication sent to affected areas of the College and assistance given to return occupants to state of normalcy.
Natural Gas Leak
Upon report of a natural gas leak on campus:
- Immediately evacuate area, leaving everything as is.
- Do not operate switches or equipment (telephone, cell phone, radio or other power source).
- Contact 4000 (internal line) or 403.343.4000 (external line), and Atco Gas (1.800.511.3447).
- No Smoking