Advanced Equipment and Industry Experts
The Centre for Innovation in Manufacturing is home to over $4.2M of advanced prototype and advanced manufacturing equipment. And when you partner with the CIM you get more than just the equipment. You get an experienced team of innovative designers and machinists working alongside you every step of the way. With your ideas, their guidance, and the right design process and approach, you’re on track for something remarkable.
The CIM is also pleased to make certain equipment available to rent. If you are interested in equipment rental, please see the Equipment Rental Requirements and Equipment Rental Price List, or contact the CIM for more information.
CIM Equipment & Testing
Stratasys 400mc 3D Printer
Reduce your concept-to-market time with 3D printing. Using a variety of plastics and colours, we print concept models, functional prototypes, and manufacturing tools layer by layer - all from computer design.
- Parts can be produced to an accuracy of +/- 0.005 inches
- Contains 14 x 16 x 16 inch heated build envelope
- 3D printing price list
Our CNC (computer numerically controlled) automated machines work with metal, wood, and plastic. Featuring automatic feeders, robotic arms, and pallet changes, this automated process (including waste chip removal) can create anywhere from 1 to 1,000 + parts, all precisely measured to ensure uniformity.
- Performs rotary, vertical, and horizontal machining
- Features a 5-axis table to machine complex curves and angles
Coordinate Measuring Machine
This machine is used in areas where precise measurement or part verification is required (e.g. reverse engineering). Measurement can be done manually or via computer control and provides uniform quality control for production line products.
- Determines X, Y, Z measurements from touch probe
- Measurements are temperature compensated
Laser Scanning Technologies
Laser scanning technologies analyze real-world objects to digitally capture shape. The unique benefit to laser scanning is that it allows you to scan parts that are no longer in production or one-of-a-kind objects for reverse engineering. It can also be used to verify part dimensions for quality control. We offer two laser scanning technologies at the CIM:
- Faro Arm Scanner
- Single point accuracy up to 0.03 mm (0.001in)
- Volumetric accuracy +/- 0.043mm (0.002in)
- Creaform Scanner:
- Single point accuracy up to 0.05mm (0.002in)
- Volumetric accuracy 0.02mm + 0.2mm/m
Laser Cutter and Engraver
Precision laser cutting machines allow you to quickly cut and engrave materials including acrylic, cork, fiberglass, marble, and polyester.
- Fully programmable using Corel Draw
- Used on an X-Y table where laser moves over stationary work piece
- Utilizes a 36 x 24 x 7 inch working area
Accurate temperature control (using a fully programmable thermostat) allows you to heat material up to 600° F / 315° C. The oven can be used to cure epoxy compounds and create irreversibly hardened parts for use in industries such as aerospace, automotive, etc.
- Can handle most industrial processes: aging, annealing, curing, dehydrating, drying, heat setting, heat shrinking, pre-heating, stress relieving, and testing
Computer controlled and automated panel routers cut and carve designs in wood, plastics, and thin aluminum. This fast and replicable process can be used in sign-making, machining odd parts, furniture making, cabinet making, etc.
- 4’x8’ bed has vacuum suction which eliminates the need for clamping of material
- CNC operation is accurate to + /- 0.001
The waterjet cutter allows you to cut complex patterns into thick material (metals, composites, stone, sheet glass, etc.) using a thin stream of water mixed with an abrasive medium. This process is cold (no metallurgical change to heat sensitive materials like alloys) and green (no fumes are produced).
- Narrow jet width (0.030 inches) allows for intricate detailed cutting capabilities
- Delivers pressure up to 60,000 pounds per square inch
Tensile and Strength Testing
Tensile and compression strength testing lets you test sample specimens to failure and view computer-generated data (stress/strain curves) for the material.
- Can apply up to 135,000 pounds of force to a single sample
- Instron Tensile Tester has a 10kN of load cell
Thermal Vacuum Former
This machine can be used to quickly manufacture plastic moulds for use in product packaging, medical devices, chocolate moulds, theatre props, etc. The thermal sheet is heated to forming temperature, stretched over single-surface mould, and held there via vacuum suction.
RDC's Centre for Innovation in Manufacturing - Technology Access Centre
Mon - Fri | 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
Email: Innovation [at] rdc [dot] ab [dot] ca