Funding for Courses Within Extended Education
Students who are registered in the Division of Extended Education programming have limited and specific funding opportunities. If you do not believe you would qualify for the government funding sources listed below, you may wish to explore the option of a student line of credit through your bank. To discuss this option further, please contact your bank directly.
Awards and Scholarships
Various award and scholarship opportunities are available throughout the year. Applicable courses/programs, eligibility criteria and deadlines will vary. View our current opportunities or contact the Student Connect Centre for more information.
Government student loans are only available for students enrolled in the following Division of Extended Education programs:
Click here for more information on student loan eligibility and application steps.
If you are enrolled in a course or program that is not listed above, or if you do not believe you qualify for government student loans, you may wish to explore the option of a student line of credit through your bank. To discuss this option further, please contact your bank directly.
Alberta Works Learner Income Support
Alberta Works offers grant funding to adult learners enrolled in Red Deer Polytechnic's English for Academic Purposes (EAP), English as a Second Language (ESL) to Health Care Aide (HCA) and the Foundational Learners programs. For more information on these programs and the registration process contact the Division of Extended Education at ce [at] rdc [dot] ab [dot] ca or 403.356.4900.
Basic Funding Eligibility:
- You must have an Alberta address
- You must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or refugee
- You must be 18+ years old, or be 16-17 and a single parent, legally married, in a cohabitating relationship or pregnant.
- You must be out of high school for 12 consecutive months or have aged out of high school prior to beginning your ESL program
- Individuals working more than 20 hours per week over the last 12 weeks must be approved through a Counsel to Leave Employment (CLE) assessment that is conducted by Community and Social Services. A CLE will only be considered for individuals living in communities that have an unemployment rate of less than 5%. Please contact an Alberta Supports Office near you for further information on the Counsel to Leave Employment process. WARNING: If you are working more than 20 hours per week (on average) during this timeframe, quitting your job in order to attend training will result in fund rejection.
If you meet the basic funding eligibility criteria listed above, please proceed as follows:
Step 1: Complete the funding application and additional documents. Once you are given admission to your desired program, the Student Connect Centre will email you a funding package. You can then print and complete the paper application and additional forms.
Begin Accepting Funding Applications
Deadline to Submit Funding Applications
|English for Academic Purposes - WINTER January 4, 2022 - August 8, 2022||
August 4, 2021
November 1, 2021
|English for Academic Purposes - SPRING
May 2, 2022 - November 21, 2022
December 2, 2021
February 25, 2022
|English as a Second Language to Health Care Aide
January 17, 2022 - December 16, 2022
August 17, 2021
November 1, 2021
|Foundational Learners November 1, 2021 - August 31, 2022||
June 1, 2021
Step 2: Submit the Funding Package. Once you have completed all applicable forms, you have three options:
- Mail the completed funding package to:
Red Deer Polytechnic - Student Connect Centre
Box 5005 | 100 College Blvd.
Red Deer, AB T4N 5H5
- Drop it off in the drop box outside of the Red Deer Polytechnic Student Connect Centre (Room 1102, main campus).
- Stop by the Student Connect Centre in room 1102 during our Drop In hours
Step 3: Monitor your mail and email for important follow-up information. If you have any questions about the application you submitted or would like an update on the status of your application, call the Alberta Works Learner Income Support Office at 1.800.222.6485. Please note it is the learner’s responsibility to update the Student Connect Centre of any funding updates or decisions.
Alberta Works Exposure Course Funding
If you are employable, but lack a specific skill which could be obtained by attending a short-term training course, you may be a suitable candidate for Exposure Course Funding.
- Is your training less than two weeks in length?
- Are you unemployed or marginally employed?
- Are you job ready, except for certain job-specific skills?
- Are you committed to obtaining employment at the conclusion of your training?
- Are you an Alberta resident, Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or convention refugee (and legally entitled to work and train in Canada)?
If so, contact the Red Deer Alberta Works Centre at 403.340.5353 to discuss this funding option.
Canada-Alberta Job Grant
Are you an employee looking to develop your skills and achieve greater success in the workplace? Are you an employer who is interested in sending their employee(s) for additional training?
This government program will help employers invest in employees. Employers can apply for the Canada-Alberta Job Grant in order to send an employee for training. The Canada-Alberta Job Grant will reimburse up to two-thirds of the direct training costs for qualifying programs and courses, with the employer paying the remaining third.
If you are employed and are interested in furthering your education in order to enhance your current professional capacities, talk to your employer about the Canada-Alberta Job Grant today!
If you are an employer wishing to provide your employees with an opportunity for training, but are not sure where to start, contact RDC’s Division of Extended Education at 403.356.4900 for a complimentary training needs assessment.
Click here for more information on the Canada-Alberta Job Grant, including applicant, employer and program eligibility as well as application steps.
Student Connect Centre
Room 1102 | Red Deer Polytechnic
Box 5005 - 100 College Blvd, Red Deer, AB T4N 5H5
t: 403.342.3254 | f: 403.342.3262 | e: studentconnect [at] rdpolytech [dot] ca
Book an appointment with the Student Connect Centre