New partnership between FortisAlberta and RDC advances sustainability and resilient energy future
The power of two organizations coming together to advance a brighter energy future for our province was on full display today, when representatives from Red Deer College and FortisAlberta formalized a partnership agreement.
As a large Alberta-based electricity distribution provider and a post-secondary institution committed to teaching and learning that will benefit a new generation of practitioners, FortisAlberta and RDC are well matched to achieve a mutual goal of advancing a sustainable and resilient energy future.
Leaders from both organizations signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) during a celebration held earlier today in RDC’s new Alternative Energy Lab. The MOU identifies a path forward for FortisAlberta and Red Deer College to collaborate on immediate and longer-term sustainable initiatives such as:
- supporting student success and curriculum development by ensuring that teaching outcomes support dynamic and evolving industry needs
- integrating a practical, hands-on component into the curriculum through the use of FortisAlberta’s state-of-the-art Employee Development Centre, located just west of Red Deer
- providing professional development training opportunities to FortisAlberta employees, to ensure individuals are well-equipped for success in their careers
- hosting joint community sessions that help educate citizens in rural and urban communities about energy efficiency
- using RDC’s Alternative Energy Lab as a potential demonstration site for new and emerging alternative energy sources being developed by FortisAlberta
- advancing the College’s Alternative Energy Initiative, promoting environmental stewardship through use of energy efficient technologies to reduce energy consumption, with the goal of becoming a carbon neutral campus in the coming years.
“As the primary electricity distribution provider in central and southern Alberta, we are well-positioned to advance new technologies that effectively and economically integrate renewable energy resources onto the electric system. We are delighted about the potential opportunities this partnership with RDC, a visionary post-secondary institution, will introduce to the industry,” says Todd Dettling, Vice President, Customer Service of FortisAlberta.
This partnership presents a bright path to the future for both FortisAlberta and RDC to explore mutually beneficial sustainable initiatives. Joel Ward, RDC’s President & CEO, is especially excited for the opportunities that partnering with this well-respected industry leader in sustainability presents for RDC students.
“RDC continues to explore and expand ways to reduce our institution’s carbon footprint, while also ensuring we deliver high quality programs and courses that prepare our students for success in new and emerging careers such as alternative energy initiatives. We are excited for the vast potential that this partnership with FortisAlberta will provide for our College, our students and our region, today and for future generations,” says Ward.
Further discussions between FortisAlberta and RDC will continue to solidify the various ways in which the partnership that was announced today will enhance the day-to-day operations of both organizations and their stakeholders well into the future.
Photo caption (left to right): Todd Dettling (Vice President, Customer Service) of FortisAlberta and Joel Ward (President & CEO) of Red Deer College, sign a partnership Memorandum of Understanding.
- 30 -
For additional information contact:
Manager, Corporate Communications and Marketing