March 17 Updates on RDC’s response to COVID-19
During these unprecedented times, Red Deer College continues to follow the direction from the Government of Alberta and Alberta Health Services (AHS) regarding COVID-19.
Please note the following updates:
Programs, Student Services & Practicums
- RDC’s School administrative teams and faculty are working with students and practicum placement sites to identify appropriate solutions to ensure that students remain safe.
- Students should speak with their instructors and practicum placement supervisors, and to visit Blackboard online to confirm details for their practicum.
- School of Arts and Sciences: solutions are currently being identified
- Donald School of Business:
- Administrative Professional: solutions are currently being identified
- Business Administration: practicums have been completed by all students
- Legal Assistant: solutions are currently being identified
- Unit Clerk: currently continuing with plans for upcoming preceptorship; monitoring Alberta Health Services protocols to help ensure student health and safety as decisions are made
- School of Education:
- Educational Assistant & Early Learning and Child Care: remaining practicum hours in this Winter term will be completed through online solutions
- Bachelor of Education and Transitional Vocational Program: solutions are currently being identified
- School of Health Sciences:
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (years 1-3), Occupational and Physical Therapist Assistant and Medical Lab Assistant: all practicums are cancelled
- Practical Nurse (year 2): preceptorships currently remain in place; monitoring Alberta Health Services protocols to help ensure student health and safety as decisions are made
- RDC’s Counselors will be offering virtual or phone-in appointments and not in-person sessions with students who require assistance starting Wednesday, March 18.
Students living in Residence have received information from RDC to inform their decision-making. Below is a synopsis:
- Students are permitted to stay in our Residences, if they wish
- If students wish to move-out for home or other accommodations, the Residence Administration team is working with students to assist them
- If students choose to vacate their Residence unit early, RDC has waived all early termination charges, and will be prorating Residence rate based upon move-out date
- Public gathering spaces are closed, and all events have been cancelled to encourage social distancing
- No visitors are being permitted to visit our Residences
- Campus Security continues to be available 24/7
Red Deer College continues to assess the situation and make decisions for the health and safety of our students, employees and visitors.