April 7 RDC news regarding COVID-19
Today is World Health Day. The theme for this year is “Year of the Nurse and Midwife” as identified by the World Health Organization (WHO). In Canada, we also recognize today as National Caregivers Day.
Thanks to all caregivers, nurses and other healthcare professionals in our region who help us to achieve good health every day, and for their extraordinary efforts in helping to combat COVID-19. We all have a personal stake in helping to combat and prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our community. Thanks for continuing to practice physical distancing, good hygiene and other measures.
Please note today’s updates:
Campuses & Facilities Update
The following changes are being implemented in the coming days and weeks:
Donald School of Business
- RDC’s downtown campus, home of the Donald School of Business, will be open tomorrow and Thursday to allow faculty and staff to remove any personal items and materials they need to work from home.
- Effective Monday April 13, RDC’s Donald School of Business will temporarily close, until further notice. No public access will be accommodated, and all instructors and staff will be working from home and responding virtually to student or other inquiries.
- Effective Monday, April 13, there will be no public access permitted on RDC's main campus. Any students, employees, visitors or guests must attend RDC’s main campus for business purposes and need to have pre-approved appointments to pick-up or receive goods or services to be on main campus.
- To further encourage faculty and staff to work from home, starting Monday, April 20, all employees who need to work from, or access main campus for any other reasons, will be required to obtain the written pre-approval of the Dean or Director of their School or Division prior to arriving at main campus.
- This written pre-approval should include the date(s) in which the employee is approved to be at RDC’s main campus.
- Deans and Directors should please email approval to the employee and cc to SecurityCentre [at] rdc [dot] ab [dot] ca and Dan [dot] Sarrasin [at] rdc [dot] ab [dot] ca to ensure the Campus Security team is aware of who has been pre-approved to be on campus.
Effective Monday, April 20, all student access to RDC’s main campus will stop, with the exception of students who are coming to clean out their lockers and/or access the Students’ Association (SA) Food Bank as noted below:
- Students will be required to clean out their lockers by Thursday, April 30 and return locks to the SA. If students are unable to physically come to campus to complete this task, please sardc-general [at] rdc [dot] ab [dot] ca (email) the Students’ Association to establish alternative arrangements. Please note the SA is currently open Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 10:00 am - 3:00 pm.
- Students who require access to the SA Food Bank can fill out and submit this Food Bank Application.
- Students who do not have access to a computer or laptop to complete course work can email their name, program, and contact information to rdclibrary [at] rdc [dot] ab [dot] ca. The Library has some laptops that can be signed out on a first-come first-served basis. Library staff will contact students to determine how best to meet their needs, whether they need a laptop for an hour, a day, or a week. We will be flexible with loan times, while striving to ensure equitable access to technology for all students. Learners may also contact RDC’s Library through online chat or phone for other inquiries.
- Effective April 1, 2020, RDC has decided to suspend employee parking fees for all parking on RDC’s main or downtown campuses, until further notice.
- For employees whose fees for reserved stalls are paid by payroll deductions, they will first notice that no parking fees will be deducted from their payroll/direct deposit on the April 24, 2020 pay date (for the April 1–15, 2020 pay period).
- For employees who pay fees online for scramble parking lots, they will not be required to pay for parking on RDC’s campuses in April, and until further notice.
- Parking enforcement and fees have been suspended temporarily on RDC’s main campus, until further notice, for all students and employees.
- The College continues to urge employees to work remotely if their work does not require them to be present at the College. For those who must work at RDC’s main campus, please continue to park in Lots C or Public West and check-in and check-out at the Welcome Centre upon arrival and departure.
IT Services – Zoom Video Meeting Software Update
- Following the IT Services security alert message distributed by Doug Doran on Friday, April 3, Zoom released a patch that will automatically be applied when individuals use Zoom video meeting software. This patch fixes one of the major security issues, significantly reducing risk when using this video chat software. However, there are still a number of outstanding security issues that have been identified by IT Services, including ZoomBombing (that is, unidentified persons interrupting online meetings and classrooms with offensive language and images). PC Magazine has written a helpful article on how to prevent ZoomBombing.
- As Zoom continues to have weaknesses in its underlying security, RDC’s IT Services continues to recommend using Teams, WebEX, and BlackBoard Collaborate for RDC online meetings.
- 30 -
For additional information contact:
Communications Strategist – Corporate
Communications Strategist – Corporate