Vice President Academic and Research Search
Red Deer College is currently hiring an individual with executive strategic leadership experience and expertise in the post-secondary sector to fill the role of Vice President Academic and Research. To learn more about this exciting opportunity, our institution and our future as a polytechic university, read below.
The Opportunity | Vice President Academic and Research
The Vice President, Academic and Research is the Senior Academic Leader of Red Deer College (RDC) and a key member of the President’s Executive Committee. The position frequently acts as the President’s principal advisor and assumes an important role in the realization of the College’s strategic plan. Reporting to the President, and working collegially with the College’s Vice Presidents, Deans, and other institutional leaders, the Vice President, Academic and Research plays a strategic role ensuring quality in all College programs, academic areas and student services. The position ensures all programs and initiatives are learning-centred and aligned with the College’s mission and strategic directions. The College is implementing a strategic transformation plan to become Red Deer University and this role will be integral to the success of that transformation.
The Vice President, Academic and Research is the leader of all academic and student affairs and will be the catalyst for the academic division as RDC transforms to a polytechnic university. He/she is responsible for nine academic schools/departments that include: School of Education; Donald School of Business; School of Arts and Sciences; School of Creative Arts; School of Trades and Technologies; School of Health Sciences; Office of the Registrar; Library and Student Supports; and Teaching, Learning, and Research.
The position inspires and supports academic program development and delivery, university transformation, strategic enrolment management, academic policies, and research, innovation, and scholarly activity. The key focus of this position is to provide leadership to the planning, development, and evaluation of increasingly accessible, responsive, and innovative quality educational programming at all credential levels within post-secondary education, with the exception of graduate education. A learning and teaching environment that provides for access and success for all learners is expected.
Welcome to RDC
For 56 years, Red Deer College has proudly served its learners and communities. RDC offers more than 100 programs (including degrees, applied degrees, graduate certificates, certificates, diplomas and skilled trades programs). With impressive new facilities that have opened recently, the College educates approximately 7,500 full-and part-time credit students and more than 34,000 youth and adult learners in the School of Continuing Education each year.
Our main campus is strategically situated on 290 acres of Alberta’s natural landscape along the Queen Elizabeth II Highway. We have also expanded our learning and performing arts space into the heart of downtown Red Deer through our Welikoklad Event Centre and the Donald School of Business.
Vision: To be the post-secondary institution of choice serving learners and communities through leadership, excellence and innovation.
Mission: Because of Red Deer College: The intellectual, economic, cultural and social development of Central Alberta is strengthened and enriched while demonstrating good stewardship.
Values: Learning is at the heart of RDC. Our Values form a constant guide for planning, decision-making and working together as a learning community. Our Values are:
Excellence | Integrity | Accountability | Exploration | Inclusiveness | Community
Why Choose RDC | Join Our Team
- We are in a unique period in our history, as we evolve to become a polytechnic university. Through this unique model in Alberta, we are on a bold path to transform the lives of our students and communities. You can help us shape our future.
- We create opportunities for our faculty and staff to challenge their mind and spirit, and to engage in personal and professional empowerment.
- We value and encourage innovation and a community of growth. We encourage faculty to create their own opportunities for pursuit of knowledge and excellence in their discipline while they contribute to creating and delivering impactful programs that shape the futures of our students and industry.
- We are known for our generous provision of robust supports and resources to assist faculty in their personal and professional growth, allowing them to effectively contribute to their discipline locally, provincially and globally.
- We prioritize applied research that enriches our students’ experiences and solves everyday challenges.
- We provide a supportive environment that allows faculty to create meaningful and impactful relationships with colleagues, students and members of our larger communities of Red Deer and central Alberta.
- We value fresh ideas from those individuals who are new to teaching, as well as those who are looking to translate years of experience to a meaningful legacy.
- We value diversity and inclusion, working thoughtfully to create a caring environment that values everyone in our community.
- We deliver more than 100 programs in a variety of disciplines, and we encourage innovative experiences in our classrooms and labs that engage our learners and prepare them for successful careers and lives.
- We are a vibrant and determined organization that encourages collaboration, high energy, and leveraging opportunities that create high impact and value for our institution and our community.
- We meet challenges head-on, with a spirit of being open and accepting to evolution and change, resiliency and tenacity.
- We encourage individuals to step outside their comfort zone and take on new opportunities as a practitioner, within their discipline or adapting their knowledge and skills to be used effectively in other areas of interest.
- We are committed to Indigenous education in the spirit of Truth and Reconciliation. RDC signed the Colleges and Institutes Canada (CICan) Indigenous Education Protocol. The Protocol is founded on seven key principles, which range from making Indigenous education a priority to establishing Indigenous-centred holistic services and learning environment for learner success.
Learn more about Working at RDC.
Why Choose Red Deer | Live in Our Community
Red Deer, and the Central Alberta Region, is a vibrant place to live, raise a family, work and play. As you consider RDC for your next career move, here are some highlights we thought you’d appreciate:
- Our growing communities have all the amenities you need, including: great schools, well-equipped hospitals and health centers, and a variety of community groups and associations that can provide you services you may need, or for which you may wish to volunteer.
- We enjoy a lower cost-of-living than other major cities in Alberta and across Canada and your commute can be as little as 5-15 minutes.
- We have a vibrant arts and cultural scene, and community-oriented events and attractions allow you plenty to explore. From local restaurants and fresh markets, historic attractions and museums, to vast walking trails and ski hills, our region has something for everyone.
- We’re only a short two-hour drive to the beautiful Rocky Mountains for any outdoor enthusiasts. We’re situated nicely between both Edmonton and Calgarywith only a 1.5 hour drive to each larger city.
With a population of about 100,000 citizens, Red Deer offers all of the amenities you would expect to have in Canada’s larger cities without some of the challenges. We welcome faculty, staff and students from a variety of communities in central Alberta within close commuting distance to our main and downtown campuses located in Red Deer.
Additional resources you may wish to explore to learn more about living in Red Deer and central Alberta:
RDC’s Future | Our University Journey
On March 1, 2018, Red Deer College was given approval from the Government of Alberta’s Ministry of Advanced Education to offer its own degrees and begin the journey to become a university.
The milestone announcement represented the culmination of work done by RDC’s Board of Governors, faculty, staff, students, stakeholders and community members over more than 25 years.
Red Deer University | “Everything we do now, plus granting our own degrees.”
Red Deer College will continue to offer everything it does now, plus granting our own degrees. This means RDC will continue to offer trades, certificates, diplomas, graduate certificates, and applied degrees, as well as collaborative degrees with its partners. Red Deer University will be a polytechnic university and will provide more opportunities for students to complete their studies in Central Alberta and stay in the region after graduation.
The College is dedicated to challenging students with programs that stretch them, empower them, and prepare them for the ever-changing nature of work. Applied learning and applied research that connects students with leaders in business, industry, the not-for-profit sectors and our local communities, all while solving real-world problems, will be the centerpiece of what Red Deer University will continue to do.
The opportunity for RDC to grant its own degrees acknowledges the growth and evolution of the College as a mature academic institution.
Learn more about our university journey.
For More Information
|Laurel Corbiere||Mara-Lee Moroz|
Board & Executive Relations
|Phone: 403.342.3259||Phone: 403.342.3211|
|Email: laurel [dot] corbiere [at] rdc [dot] ab [dot] ca (subject: Vice%20President%20Academic%20and%20Research%20Search) (Laurel Corbiere)||Email: mara-lee [dot] moroz [at] rdc [dot] ab [dot] ca (subject: Vice%20President%20Academic%20and%20Research%20Search) (Mara-Lee Moroz)|