Maureen Toews, Ph.D
The Associate Vice President, Teaching, Learning, and Research leads the operations of the Centre for Teaching and Learning and provides strategic leadership for teaching and learning (and learner-centredness) to RDC in the areas of:
Program and curriculum quality, including strategy and direction for program development, curriculum development and review, experiential learning, learner centred assessment, indigenization of the curriculum and inclusion strategiesTeaching development
Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
Delivery models for programs and courses, including online learning directions and sustainability
Learning space planning and renewal
Educational Technology Strategies
- PhD in Education. Community College Leadership Specialization. Walden University. 2014.
- Master of Library Science. University of Alberta. 1988.
- Bachelor of Arts. English. University of Lethbridge. 1986.
- Toews, M. R. (2014). Postsecondary Instructor Experience Teaching in Flexible Learning Spaces (Doctoral dissertation, WALDEN UNIVERSITY).
- Toews, M. (June 3, 2015). Postsecondary Instructor Experience Teaching in Flexible Learning Spaces. SAIT Showcase. Calgary, AB.
- Brinkhurst, J., Cruz, M., Toews, M. (May, 27, 2014). Redesigning the Learning Experience. ACCC Annual Conference. Ottawa, ON.
- Toews, M. (May 2012). Learning Spaces at RDC. U of A Faculty of Education.
- Toews, M. (April 2007). Library Buildings. Alberta Association of College Librarians.
Professional and/or RDC Leadership
- Campus Alberta Central. Management Committee
- Canada Winter Games Academic Planning Committee
- Canada Winter Games Curriculum / Instruction Sub-Committee (Chair)
- Curriculum Committee
- Education and Information Technology Committee
- Teaching and Learning Technology Sub-Committee (Chair)
- Facilities Planning Advisory Committee (Co-Chair)
- Quality Improvement of Programs Committee
- Service Council
- Golden Key International Honour Society
- Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (STLHE)
- Society for College and University Planning
- EDUCAUSE and EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative
- The Chair Academy
Awards and Honours
- Red Deer College, Award of Excellence, in recognition of extraordinary contributions to the RDC Learning Community by creating learning environments that are responsive to the learning needs of students, 2011
- NISOD Award of Excellence, 1991
- Red Deer College, KITE Award, Divisional Award of Excellence, 1990