Medical Lab Assistant
100% of our students are satisfied with the program completed at RDC!*
Average hourly wage is
There is a high demand for Medical Laboratory Assistants in central Alberta, as well as in other areas provincially and interprovincially.
- A 23-week Certificate program that includes a 7-week practicum
- Four major areas of study: phlebotomy, urinalysis, histology, and microbiology
- The ability to write the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science national certification exam upon completion of the program
- Highly qualified, experienced faculty who are dedicated to their profession.
Medical Lab Assistants find employment in hospitals, community health centres, and public or private clinical laboratories.
You will be trained to:
- Collect, process, and prepare patient's specimens
- Enter data within medical computer systems
- Perform clerical and reception services
- Perform electrocardiograms and urinalysis
- Carry out basic laboratory procedures
During practicum experiences, students will address a limited selection of competencies in a simulation lab. The available practicum sites are located primarily in Alberta.
For more information, view the Academic Calendar