Who are we…
The Visual Art Program at Red Deer College provides a comprehensive program of study for those considering a career or general education in visual art. The program offers both a two-year Visual Art Diploma as well as a two-year Bachelor of Fine Art, University Transfer option, through a concentrated, studio-based visual art foundation approach.
Learn in the state-of-the-art Centre for Visual Art at Red Deer College in large, well lit, and well-equipped studios. Create in an environment that is both safe and inspiring. Gain intensive experiences in:
- 2D Visual Fundamentals
- 3D Visual Fundamentals
- Art history
- Professional Practices
Why are we great…
- Work with faculty and staff who are all successful practicing artists themselves!
- Learn and create in some of the newest and best studio facilities in Western Canada!
- Creativity doesn’t work on a 9-5 schedule, so why should you? Our state-of-the-art visual art facilities are open to students 24/7!
- We brings in practicing artists for lectures, demonstrations, and workshops in our Visiting Artist Lecture Series.
- The RDC Permanent Collection houses over 700 pieces, including works by old, modern, and contemporary masters. There is also an ever-growing collection of student work, demonstrating our legacy of excellence.
- We do not require a portfolio submission for admission to our program!
You may transfer up to 20 course equivalents taken at Red Deer College to institutions like the University of Alberta, University of Calgary, University of Lethbridge, the Alberta College of Art and Design, NSCAD University, and the Emily Carr University of Art and Design as well as many other Canadian universities and art colleges.
The following employment-related fields require a general art foundation, possibly followed by more specialized training:
- Studio artist
- Exhibit designer
- Art Educator
- Designer (product, costume, set, textile, industrial, graphic, lighting, environmental, etc.)
- Special effects artist
You may transfer up to 20 course equivalents taken at Red Deer College to the University of Alberta, University of Calgary, University of Lethbridge, the Alberta College of Art and Design, NSCAD University, and the Emily Carr University of Art and Design. The Visual Art diploma and B.F.A program are also transferable to most other Canadian universities and art colleges.
*Transfer arrangements are different at each university and you are advised to consult the Alberta Transfer Guide, your Advising & Recruiting Specialist and the University to which you will transfer for more information.