In order to continue offering relevant and cutting edge programs to prepare students for employment in the arts, the School of Creative Arts is currently in the process of developing new and expanded programming in the areas of Animation and Visual Effects to launched in fall 2018, and Film, Theatre, and Live Entertainment to be launched in fall 2019. Both programs are pending government approval.
Bachelor of Applied Arts in Animation & Visual Effects - adding a completely new, digital art based program to the School and filling a current educational gap in the province.
While we still anticipate the first classes to take place in fall of 2018, full approval from the Government of Alberta is required to begin accepting applications. We will ensure that those on our interest list are one of the first groups contacted when we are able to move forward with accepting applications.
Bachelor of Applied Arts in Film, Theatre & Live Entertainment - providing students with an even broader scope of knowledge and skills required to work in acting or production roles.
The approval process is multi-staged and lengthy. Unfortunately, we do not believe that we will have necessary approvals in place to have classes begin in fall 2018. Our new projected timeline to launch the Film, Theatre & Live Entertainment program is fall 2019. We anticipate beginning to accept applications for this program on October 1, 2018 (pending government approval).
Theatre and Film programs are a vital part of the School of Creative Arts and we strive to provide students with the best-possible education pathways for their future careers in the theatre and film, and live entertainment industries. We hope that you remain interested in this exciting new program and we will be sure to update you as soon as we have more information to share.
We strongly encourage interested students to provide their contact information (name and email address) to the School of Creative Arts. Email creativearts [at] rdc [dot] ab [dot] ca to receive updates and notification of when applications open (pending government approval).
Anticipated Admission Requirements (Pending approval):
Bachelor of Applied Arts in Animation and Visual Effects
- Minimum 60% in ELA 30-1
- Minimum 50% in a Group A, B, or C course or a 5-credit Advanced CTS course (A 30-level Math or Science course is recommended)
Bachelor of Applied Arts in Film, Theatre, and Live Entertainment
- Minimum 60% in ELA 30-1
- Minimum 50% in a Group A, B, or C course (A 30-level Fine Arts course is recommended)
- Additional requirements: There will also be an audition/interview for the acting stream and an interview for the Production Stream. These details have not yet been determined.
These programs will:
- Offer even more relevant and timely courses to help prepare students for their careers in the theatre and film industries.
- Combine classroom training with practical application of skills to help transition students from the classroom directly into professional practice. The fourth year is unique with no formal classes, providing students with practical work experience.
- Offer students the opportunity to complete their degrees in central Alberta, providing financial benefits for students and their families and economic benefits to the local communities.
- Allow Theatre and Film programs to continue as a vital part of the School of Creative Arts, providing students with the best-possible education pathways for their future careers in the theatre and film, and live entertainment industries.
If you have any questions please contact creativearts [at] rdc [dot] ab [dot] ca.