University of Alberta Bachelor of Arts Core Program Requirements:
See Academic Advising Planning Guides for more specific program details. For U of A credit weights, check the Alberta Transfer Guide.
U of A will accept for credit those courses and programs listed in the Alberta Transfer Guide to the extent that they are relevant and applicable to the degree to which the student is admitted.
- basic requirements (36 credits)
- a major subject of concentration
- a minor subject of concentration or two major subjects of concentration
Students who declare a double major are not permitted to declare a minor.
- Junior English (ENGL 219 and ENGL 220)
- Language (6 credits of a language other than English)
- The Study of Science (6 credits)
- Select 6 credits of transferable coursework from ASTR, BIOC, BIOL, CHEM, CMPT (not CMPT 261), GENE, MICRO, MATH, PHYS, PSYC (only PSYC 260, PSYC 312*, PSYC 368, PSYC 369, PSYC 375,
and/or PSYC 377) STAT*, ZOOL
- Breadth and Diversity (18 credits)
- To acquaint students with and offer them a basic awareness of the variety of disciplines practiced throughout the Faculty of Arts, students must complete 6 credits from each of the following groups:
- Group 1 Creative Process in the Arts
- Select six credits of transferable coursework from ART, DRAM, or MUSI (not MUSI 210)
- Group 2 Cultures and Cultural Products
- Select six credits of transferable coursework from ENGL, FILM, HIST, CLAS, or PHIL
- Group 3 Social Systems and Interactions
- Select six credits of transferable coursework from:
- ECON, POLI, PSYC (only those courses designated as Arts courses), PSYC 261, PSYC 312*, PSYC 341, PSYC 347, PSYC 353, PSYC 358, PSYC 389 or SOCI
- Options (24 credits)
- Select 24 credits of transferable coursework from ARTS, SCIENCE, or OTHER with an overall maximum of 18 credits from the OTHER category. (Refer to the University of Alberta Calendar for further details).
Anthropology (ANTH), Art (ART), Classics (CLAS), Drama (DRAM), Economics (ECON), English (ENGL), Film Studies (FILM), French (FREN), History (HIST), Music (MUSI, MUSE), Philosophy (PHIL), Political Science (POLI), Psychology (PSYC) (only courses transferring as Faculty of Arts courses), Sociology (SOCI)
Astronomy (ASTR), Biochemistry (BIOC), Biology (BIOL), Chemistry (CHEM), Computing Science (CMPT) (not CMPT 261), Genetics (GENE), Mathematics (MATH), Microbiology (MICR), Physics (PHYS), Psychology (PSYC) (only courses transferring as Faculty of Science courses), Statistics (STAT), Zoology (ZOOL).
Accounting (ACCT), Business (BUS, BADM), Communication (COMM), Dance (KDNC), Education (EDCM, EDFN, EDFX, EDIT, EDUC), Engineering (ENCP, ENGG, ENPH), Family Studies (FAM), Kinesiology (KNSS, KPED, KPAC, PSIO), Disability & Community Studies (DACS).
No more than 48 U of A credits at the 200 Level are permitted in your program.
University of Calgary
Bachelor of Arts Core Program Requirements:
See Academic Advising Planning Guides for more specific program details. For U of C credit weights, check the Alberta Transfer Guide.
Major Field: 42-60 credits required in the major field.
Optional Minor: requires completion of between 30-36 credits in a particular field of study.
Domain of Science: 6 credits are required from the Faculty of Science. RDC Science courses that fulfill the U of C Science requirement:
Astronomy (ASTR 205); Biochemistry (BIOC 393); Biology (BIOL 201, BIOL 217, BIOL 218, BIOL 301, BIOL 317, BIOL 318); Chemistry (CHEM 211, CHEM 212; one of CHEM 351, CHEM 352); Computing Science (CMPT 201, CMPT 261); Genetics (GENE 370, GENE 375); Mathematics (MATH 221, MATH 204; one of MATH 202, MATH 203); Microbiology (MICR 365); Physics (PHYS 205, PHYS 226, PHYS 241, PHYS 247); Statistics (STAT 251*); Zoology (ZOOL 325, ZOOL 342).
* Economics, Psychology, Sociology Majors should not take any statistics courses as option.
Options: All students in the Faculty of Arts are encouraged, but not required, to complete at least 15 credits from across the fields of study within the Faculty of Arts.
Complete details are available from Academic Advising.
Refer to the University of Calgary Calendar for further details.
University of Lethbridge
Bachelor of Arts Program Requirements:
See Academic Advising Planning Guides for more specific program details. For U of L credit weights, check the Alberta Transfer Guide.
Majors available: Anthropology, Economics, English, French, French, History, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology.
Art, Dramatic Arts, Agricultural Studies, Archaeology & Geography, Canadian Studies, General Humanities, General Social Science, Urban & Regional studies.
General Liberal Education Requirement (GLER):
The General Liberal Education Requirement (GLER) is a 12-course requirement for all University of Lethbridge undergraduate students. You should complete these requirements by the end of your second year.
You must complete 12 transferable credits from each of the following three areas:
- Fine Arts and Humanities
- Social Sciences
Fine Arts and Humanities:
All transferable courses in the following subjects are classified as Fine Arts and Humanities (excluding those courses listed as Sciences): ART, DRAM, ENGL, FREN, HIST, MUSI (not MUSE or MUSI 210), PHIL
The following courses are also classified as Fine Arts and Humanities: ANTH 308, CLAS 209, COMM 271, FILM 201, FILM 202, INTD 240, KNSS 205, POLI 308, SOCI 307.
All transferable courses in the following subjects are classified as Social Science (excluding those courses listed as Fine Arts and Humanities or Sciences): ANTH, ECON, KNSS (not 280), POLI, PSYC, SOCI.
The following courses are also classified as Social Sciences: FAM 315 (not FAM 322)
All transferable courses in the following subjects are classified as Sciences: BIOC, BIOL, CHEM, CMPT, MATH, PHYS, PSIO, ZOOL
The following courses are also classified as Sciences: ANTH 200, ANTH 306, ANTH 319, ANTH 390, ASTR 205, BUS 307, ENGG 230, GENE 370, GENE 375, KNSS 200, KNSS 201, KNSS 307, MICR 365, PHIL 221; PHIL 222 or PHIL 389; PHIL 364, PSYC 260, PSYC 312, PSYC 368, PSYC 369, PSYC 375, PSYC 377; STAT 250 or BADM 111 or BUS 306
Open Options - Any U of L transferable course for which you have the prerequisite(s) (including transferable COMM).