International Admissions

(This page is part of the official Academic Calendar)

International applicants to Red Deer College (RDC) should begin applying at least four (4) to six (6) months in advance of the term in which you wish to commence studies.   As International applications take time to process, applications will be accepted no later than 90 days in advance of the term in which you wish to commence studies.

Term Application Deadline Document Deadline
Fall May 1 July 15
Winter September 15 December 1
Spring January 31 March 31

Procedures for applying to Red Deer College

1. Complete and submit an Online Application form and pay the application fee due at the time of application.

2. Determine if your International transcripts can be assessed by RDC. The official transcript we receive directly from the institution must be in English for us to assess it for admission. The following chart lists those countries that RDC can assess transcripts or documents for admission as long as they are in English:

Anguilla Ghana New Zealand Swaziland
Antigua and Baruda Guyana Nigeria Tanzania
Australia Hong Kong Pakistan Trinidad / Tobago
Bangladesh India Philippines Turks / Caicos Islands
Barbados Jamaica St. Kitts / Nevis Uganda
Belize Kenya St. Lucia United Arab Emirates
Bermuda Lesotho St. Vincent / Grenadines United Kingdom / Northern Ireland
Botswana Liberia Sierra-Leone United States
British Virgin Islands Malawi Singapore Zambia
China Montserrat South Africa Zimbabwe

Plus any other West African country that has WAEC (West African Examinations Council) or NECO (National Examinations Council) or any country that follows the UK system of GCE (General Certificate of Education) Ordinary and Advanced

Names of required documents can be found on the List of Required International Documents.

3. Submit official transcripts that can be assessed by RDC by the document deadlines per the chart at the top of the page.

  • This applies to both students currently living in Canada and those not yet in Canada.
  • If your transcript is in a language other than English, you need to submit it to International Qualifications Assessment Service as per #4 below.
  • Official transcripts must be final and sent directly to the Office of the Registrar from the issuing institution.  
  • Faxed or copies submitted in person can be used for conditional admission, but official transcripts are required to receive clear admission and attend classes.
  • Transcripts can be sent to:

Office of the Registrar
Box 5005
100 College Boulevard
Red Deer, AB T4N 5H5

4. If your country is not on this list, you will need to submit your transcripts to International Qualifications Assessment Services (IQAS) and request that they send a copy of the assessment directly to RDC at the address below. If you have one transcript on the RDC list and one not from a country on the list, you must send all transcripts to IQAS for assessment. IQAS will charge a fee for this assessment.  The assessment typically takes 4-6 months to process once they have received a complete application.

5. Students that apply for a Prior Learning Assessment, including transfer credit, must provide official transcripts.  We do not accept IQAS Assessments for Prior Learning Assessments.  This means transcripts must be sent directly from the issuing institution to the Office of the Registrar at RDC.  If transcripts are not in English, the student must also provide translated copies from an approved translation service provider

6. Meet English Language Proficiency Requirement (ELP).


  • Applications will remain pending until ALL required documentation is received.
  • Applications are not carried over from one year to the next.   You must submit a new application form along with all other necessary documentation each time you apply for admission to RDC.


  • International students pay 3 times the fees for instruction plus all other fees associated with their stay at RDC. See the International Program Cost Estimates.
  • Note: these fees are approximate costs only.   Your actual fees will be based on your schedule and will vary from student to student.

Admitted International Students

  • Admitted applicants are responsible for all of their study permit, travel and financial arrangements.
  • A valid Study Permit must be presented on or before the first day of classes. This includes refugees and protected persons.
  • For information on Studying in Canada and to apply for a Study Permit, please go to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada web site.
  • For Study Permit processing times, by country, see official information Citizenship and Immigration Canada site.

Study Permit Information

A valid Study Permit must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar on or before the first day of classes. For information on Studying in Canada and to apply for a Study Permit, please go to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada web site.

Red Deer College is recognized as a Designated Learning Institution by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).  Students admitted to RDC will need to provide our Designated Learning Institution Number to CIC when applying for their Study Permit.  That number is:  O19391056880.  This number will also be noted on admission letters sent to international students.

Note: Students admitted to on-line programs are not eligible for Study Permits. These include:

  • Administrative Professional Certificate – on-line
  • Adult and Higher Education Post-Diploma Certificate
  • Early Learning and Child Care Certificate or Diploma – on-line
  • Educational Assistant Certificate – on-line
  • eLearning Instructor Post-Diploma Certificate
  • Management Certificate – on-line

Note: The Human Resources Management Graduate Certificate program is offered online except for four executive weekend courses.  These weekends total eight class days that students are required to study in Canada.  Applicants should contact Citizenship and Immigration Canada to confirm that the program is Study Permit eligible before applying.

Note: Students admitted to online programs including the Human Resources Management Graduate Certificate or the Health Care Management Post-Diploma Certificate are also not eligible for a Post-Graduate Work Permit. For more information, please consult the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

Note: Students with Study Permits that are admitted to a program that has a practicum or clinical placement in childcare, primary/secondary school teaching or health service field occupations must complete their Medical Examinations as required by Citizenship and Immigration Canada one month prior to the start of classes.This includes students in the following programs:

  • Bachelor of Education
  • Bachelor of Science Nursing
  • Early Learning and Child Care
  • Educational Assistant
  • Medical Lab Assistant
  • Occupational Assistant & Physiotherapist Assistant
  • Pharmacy Technician
  • Practical Nurse
  • Unit Clerk

For more information on the Medical Examination, please to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.