Do all international students need health-care insurance?
Yes, all students need health-care insurance. You have a couple of options:
- Students can obtain coverage from a private insurance company. You are encouraged to check with a few insurance companies as rates may vary.
- Students from outside Canada may be eligible for Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan ( AHCIP) coverage. You will need to apply for AHCIP coverage. Students under 18 years of age must be added to the AHCIP account of a custodian.
- Students who have a 12 month Study Permit (valid for an Alberta educational institute) and who will reside in Alberta for 12 months or more are eligible for AHCIP coverage.
- Students with Study Permits valid for more than 3 months, but less than 12 months, may be eligible for AHCIP coverage if their application is accompanied by a letter from the student confirming their intent to reside in Alberta for at least 12 months.
- If the application is received within 3 months of entry into Alberta, coverage is effective on the date of either entry into Alberta or the date signed on the Study Permit, whichever is later.
- If you are deemed ineligible for AHCIP, you will need to obtain private insurance in your home country or Canada. This is mandatory. RDC does not recommend any particular agency or plan.
If you are a full time student at RDC (9 credits per Fall and Winter terms), you are automatically enrolled in the Student Health and Dental plan. If you have other coverage and would like to opt out of this coverage, please email reddeerplan [at] mystudentplan [dot] ca.
If you have obtained Alberta Health Care, that coverage only covers basic health expenses; it does not cover dental treatment or prescription medication.
If you have obtained Alberta Health Care and you are a full time student at RDC (9 credits per Fall and Winter terms), you are automatically enrolled in the Student Health and Dental plan. This is in addition to your Alberta Health care and covers additional services. If you have other questions or would like to opt out of the Student Health and Dental plan, please email reddeerplan [at] mystudentplan [dot] ca.