Post-Secondary Funding

Government student loans and grants are available for students studying at the post-secondary level (college or university courses) in both full-time and part-time options..  

What is the difference between full-time and part-time status?

In order to be considered a full-time post-secondary student, you must be registered in a full-time course load:

  • Fall:  Minimum of 3 post-secondary level courses and 9 academic credits
  • Winter:  Minimum of 3 post-secondary level courses and 9 academic credits
  • Spring:  Minimum of 2 post-secondary level courses and 6 academic credits

There are some exceptions to the minimum full-time criteria outlined above.  Please contact the Student Funding & Awards Office to discuss your funding options if:

  • You are in year 4 of the Bachelor of Applied Motion Picture Arts program
  • You are in the Bachelor of Science in Nursing or Practical Nurse program
  • You are registered in a practicum or field study 
  • You are a student with a permanent disability and have been approved to study at a reduced course load
  • You are registered in a pre-employment program - click here for funding information
  • You are registered in an apprenticeship program - click here for funding information

If you are registered in a course load that is less than the minimum full-time requirements, you are considered to be a part-time learner and can apply for part-time funding.  

IMPORTANT:  High school upgrading classes are not post-secondary level courses and are not funded through the same program.  Click here for high school level upgrading funding information. 


Full-Time Post-Secondary Funding

Part-Time Post-Secondary Funding

Interest-Free Status for Student Loans

Student Loan Repayment


Student Funding & Awards Office
Room 1102 | RDC
Box 5005 - 100 College Blvd, Red Deer, AB  T4N 5H5
t: 403.342.3254 | f: 403.342.3262 | e: financialaid [at] rdc [dot] ab [dot] ca