Pre-Employment Trades Program
100% would recommend the program to others*
"I had zero experience. I enrolled in the program and got a job right out of school."**
Who should take this program?
Are you ready to train for a trade? The Pre-Employment Trades programs prepare you with the necessary skills to start a career as an electrician or welder apprentice. These programs can provide entry for non-traditional students.
What's in it for YOU?.
As a student in the program, you will prepare to enter an apprenticeship by:
- Receiving technical training in the first year of the Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training (AIT)
- Gaining experience in the shop
- Earning two safety tickets through hands-on training
- Building a trades resume
- Challenging AIT's provincial exam upon successful completion
- Establishing a network within your trade
The programs comprise the first period of the corresponding apprentice program that RDC offers in each of the following trades:
- Electricians install, alter, repair and maintain electrical systems that provide heat, light, power, control, signal or fire alarms for all types of buildings and structures. Some electricians specialize in specific types of installations. Learn more.
- Welders join or sever metals in beams, girders, vessels, piping and other metal components, make metal parts for construction and manufacturing plants and weld parts, tools, machines and equipment. Learn more.
What you need to know:
- You must meet the current AIT entrance requirements in order to enrol
- Course fees are due one month prior to class start date
- There are no refunds issued from 30 days prior to the class start date, unless the School of Continuing Education cancels the course
- A $200 non-refundable deposit is required at the time of registration
- Each class has limited enrollment. Once seats are filled, all other applicants will be placed on a waiting list and notified if an opening becomes available.
Student loans are available. Learn more.
A payment plan is available. Please inquire at the time of registration.
All students entering the program are eligible to apply for the Princess Auto Foundation Pre-Employment Bursary. There are five bursaries, each valued at $2500. Deadline to apply: August 1, 2016. Apply online.
Métis Pre-Employment Carpentry Program
Métis individuals can train for employment with the Métis Pre-Employment Carpentry program! This program is designed for those interested in working in the carpentry trade as a first-year apprentice. Get the theoretical knowledge, safety tickets and practical experience needed to have a strong competitive edge when seeking employment.
The program will include fourteen weeks of training with RDC followed by eight weeks of paid work experience with a selected industry partner. For more information on the Métis Pre-Employment Carpentry program, contact the School of Continuing Education at 403.356.4900. To apply, visit the Rupertsland Institute online at www.metisemployment.ca.
Are you interested in learning more about the Pre-Employment Trades program? We invite you to attend our Open House on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 from 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm in the Bruins Lounge at Red Deer College.
Fall 2016 programs will open for registration on May 27, 2016. Current course offerings will be posted below. Registration for this program requires an application to be submitted in person, by email to reg [dot] coned [at] rdc [dot] ab [dot] ca or by fax to 403.357.3660. The $200 deposit must accompany the application.
*From 2013/2014 RDC program and service review
**Welder, spring 2016
Entering a Pre-Employment Trades program this fall? Apply for a $2500 Princess Auto Foundation Bursary by August 1! https://t.co/fFlfPbUvJt
Interested in learning more about the Pre-Employment Trades programs? Attend our Open House on Wed, June 15. https://t.co/fFlfPbUvJt
RT @RedDeerCollege: College Circle will be closed Tuesday on west side due to construction. Access the campus via College Boulevard. https:…
.@gcouros We couldn't agree more! We love getting to know our students and clients so that we can meet their needs on a personal level!