Olds College, Red Deer College Partner on Business Start Up Training Program
Olds College and Red Deer College have teamed up to present Start Up Saturdays Central Alberta, a program for students and recent grads focused on entrepreneurship and innovation.
Launching March 11, Start Up Saturdays Central Alberta, will encourage young entrepreneurs to create a start-up company, and offer training through a series of five workshops that will help participants learn how to get their business out of the “idea” phase and into becoming an actual business.
Each workshop will feature a different expert, in between workshops students will be challenged to take what they have learned and apply it to their start up over the next month.
Workshop topics will include:
- Ideation - students will learn strategies on developing a business idea, identifying personal strengths, and testing business ideas.
- Idea Pitch and Business Model - students pitch their top business idea to a group, which will allow for feedback from mentors and the opportunity to establish collaborations, as well as introduce popular business models.
- Marketing and Branding - will help students develop their brand and find their market.
- Financials and Pitch Training – will teach the basics of financial statements, how to speak with bankers and funders, and how to pitch their business idea.
- Pitch Competition – students will pitch their start up for the opportunity to win $3,000. High potential start ups may be selected to travel to Calgary to participate in the Innovation Rodeo.
“We have noticed the spirit of entrepreneurship within many Olds College students,” explains Karla Petersen, Entrepreneurship and Innovation Coordinator at Olds College. “Partnering with RDC on this initiative allows us to offer the training and expertise that our students need in order to develop an idea, or to bring an existing idea to market. We hope that by contributing to the success of student owned start-up businesses, these talented young people will stay in our communities and help our region to prosper.”
Start Up Saturdays Central Alberta is the most recent example of successful collaboration between RDC and Olds College, creating applied learning opportunities for learners and contributing to the economic development of communities in our region.
“Red Deer College is pleased to support student entrepreneurship and looks forward to working with Olds College on this exciting program,” remarks Dr. Naveen Anand, Director of Applied Research and Innovation at Red Deer College. “We wish all the participants success and together with Olds College, plan to continue supporting these learners through different facets of their journey.”
All current students or recent graduates of Olds College or Red Deer College are eligible to participate. Registration deadline is March 8, 2017. To learn more or to register visit www.oldscollege.ca/startupsaturday.
– 30 –
For additional information contact:
Marketing & Communications Coordinator
Red Deer College