Get to know your College
Red Deer College exists to support the intellectual, economic, cultural and social development of central Alberta. In doing so, we focus on ensuring our learners are at the centre of our decision making and, at the same time, we demonstrate good financial stewardship thereby respecting the taxpayers who fund over 50% of our budget. We have a proud history of over 50 years of providing learning opportunities to central Albertans.
To help provide you with an over-arching look at the College, I’ve prepared a list of things you might not know about RDC:
- RDC contributes more than $327M to the economy of central Alberta each year
- RDC’s operating budget for 2016/17 is almost $103M. $60 million is salaries and benefits to over 1,400 full and part-time faculty and staff
- We awarded almost $1M in student scholarships and awards last year
- We offer over 100 programs of study at RDC including apprenticeship, as well as a wide variety of 1, 2, and 4 year programs
- Our enrolment grew almost 20% over the last two years to almost 8,000 students including 3,100 in our Trades programs
- RDC Athletics teams have won 19 National Championships and 145 provincial championships
- Our School of Continuing Education hosted 36,000 community learners last year
- 64% of our students come from central Alberta
- 90% of our students get jobs within six months of graduation
- 96% of our students are satisfied with the quality of education they received from our faculty
- Over 100,000 people enjoy events at the College each year.
We are proud of the work we do on behalf of the citizens of central Alberta, and we continue to plan for a bright future. That future includes more degrees to ensure our learners have opportunities to complete their education close to home.
In the next few columns, I will profile some of the amazing work our faculty are doing to support teaching and learning at RDC. Over 800 full-and part-time faculty work at RDC, and their expertise in teaching, research and scholarly activity ensure our learners’ experiences at RDC prepares them for successful careers and lives.
And finally, an update on the Gary W. Harris Canada Games Centre/Centre des Jeux du Canada Gary W. Harris. We are on time and on budget for an August 2018 opening. This will enable us to prepare for the Canada Winter Games coming in February 2019.
May you all have a happy and enjoyable 2017, and remember that you are always welcome at your College.
This column was first published in Red Deer Advocate on Saturday, January 28, 2017.
Apply today for RDC’s studio-based Visual Art Diploma or Bachelor of Fine Arts (University Transfer). Visit… https://t.co/YeEFQGoH8p
It's our last week of gift card giveaways! Have you shared your reason for choosing RDC yet? Tell us using… https://t.co/13JE3GlWbe
Congrats to RDC Electrician instructor Terry Welch for receiving the 2016 Top Instructor Award | Full story:… https://t.co/jplmhvsDSd
Last week to register for Convocation! The deadline to submit the application is April 28. Info:… https://t.co/2YVQPBkJZ6