RDC’s Future: Serving our Region as a Polytechnic University
Everything we do now, plus granting our own degrees.
Polytechnic Universities are comprehensive institutions offering professional, career-focused programs in the arts, social and related behavioral sciences, health & wellness, business, engineering, education and trades and technology.
A Polytechnic University engages students in active, applied learning and research essential to the future of society, business and industry.
Why does Polytechnic University status make sense for RDC?
- Community demand
- Strong population growth in central Alberta
- Ability to grant our own degrees
- Improve local opportunities so students no longer need to leave our region to complete their post-secondary education
- Allows us to maintain our current strength of offering a comprehensive mix of programs (including trades and technology)
- Red Deer is the largest centre in Western Canada without a degree-granting institution* within a one hour commute
Benefits of a Polytechnic University
- Growth in programming: including our own degrees
- Comprehensive programming: certificates, diplomas, applied degrees, collaborative degrees, adult upgrading, trades, apprenticeship, continuing education
- Applied research and learning connected to industry, business and society
- Career and employment focus
- Economic development
- Increased post-secondary participation
- Recognized as designation around the world
- Reduced cost – living away from home to complete a degree costs a student or their family an extra $28,000 compared to a student living at home
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page or contact the Office of the President at 403.342.3259.